How much of your day do you spend slumped over the tiny screen of your smartphone?
Humans were designed to stand upright. Many of us spend long periods of time slumped over our smartphones for daily reading or writing, which certainly doesn't promote good posture!
You may be wondering why I m writing again about Forward Head Posture:
- Good posture elevates testosterone and serotonin in the body.
- Good posture reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
- Poor posture is associated with poor physical and emotional health.
- Poor posture has been linked to a host of medical problems, including headaches and other neurological problems, depression, constipation, and heart disease.
- Constant slouching is likely to cause chronic pain.
Tips to maintain good posture?
-Raise your phone to eye level (without tucking or tilting your chin), or use a computer at eye level. My goal is to get a standing desk!
-Take stretch breaks.
-Move! Here's where I get to put in a plug for Nia or any other natural body movement that moves us in all directions, using a full range of spinal motion, while enhancing spinal flexibility and stability.
-Dr. Kenneth Hansraj, Chief of Spine Surgery at NY Spine Surgery and Rehab Medicine